If you would like us to handle an incoming transfer, please follow these steps:
- Notify Phoenix Arms that you’re making a gun purchase and would like us to handle the incoming transfer. Be sure to include your name, telephone number, email address, the name of the person shipping the firearm to us, and the make and model of the firearm.
- Purchase the item from the seller.
- We will provide the person or company that’s shipping the firearm with a copy of our Federal Firearms License (FFL).
- Ensure that the person shipping the firearm includes a copy of their FFL with the shipment. If the person is not a dealer, please provide a copy of their driver’s license. In addition, they should include your name and contact information with the firearm.
- Once we receive your firearm, we will contact you to schedule an appointment for the transfer.
Virginia Resident Transfer Requirements
When you arrive for your scheduled appointment, you will need to complete two forms. You must also bring with you a Virginia driver’s license that is at least 30 days old and shows your current address. Virginia identification cards are also acceptable
Special Requirements for Assault Firearms
Under Virginia law, an assault firearm is defined as a semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol, that (1) has a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds, or (2) is designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer, or (3) is equipped with a folding or collapsible stock.
Only persons who are 18 years or older are eligible to receive transferred rifles and shotguns. To receive handguns, receivers, frames, shotguns without shoulder stocks, and other firearms, you must be 21 years or older.
Non-Virginia Resident Transfer Requirements
Phoenix Arms may transfer rifles and shotguns to non-Virginia residents as long as we are able to comply with the laws of Virginia and the state of residence of the customer. Similar to the Virginia Resident Transfer procedure outlined above, when you arrive for your scheduled appointment, you will need to complete two forms. You must also bring with you a driver’s license from your state of residence that is at least 30 days old and shows your current address.
Phoenix Arms is only permitted by law to transfer rifles and shotguns to non-Virginia residents. We cannot transfer handguns, receivers, frames, or shotguns without shoulder stocks to non-Virginia residents. In addition, some states require that certain types of rifles and shotguns be transferred to a resident of that state by a dealer in that state. The customer should be aware of the requirements of their state of residence before contacting Phoenix Arms.
Members of the Military
The Virginia Code provides that military members who reside in Virginia, but whose duty station is in a nearby state, such as Maryland or North Carolina, are considered Virginia residents even if they do not possess a Virginia driver’s license. This means that members of the military can lawfully purchase handguns and semi-automatic rifles such as AR-15s in Virginia as Virginia residents. Members of the military who cannot meet the Virginia Resident Transfer Requirements, or the Non-Virginia Resident Transfer Requirements, can provide the following documentation:
- a driver’s license from your home state that is at least 30 days old, if you are active duty (it does not matter if your license is expired);
- a military ID; and
- military orders (a) putting your permanent duty station in Virginia or (b) putting your permanent duty station in a nearby state if you live in Virginia, but your duty station is not in Virginia